Saturday, May 1, 2010

Planning the YA novel

That's right. I just finished my last project and I'm already getting to work on the next thing on my list. It seems that lately I can't go more then two days without writing something. I just get too twitchy.

And that brings me to the topic of the day. Pre writing. It is one of the most important parts of the process for me, for many different reasons. It reminds me what I want my story to be about, it gives me an idea of the major conflicts and who the characters are, ect. If I didn't do any pre writing before the actual writing...well, I've already seen where that gets me. I never finished anything. I also noticed my work is much cleaner, much more interesting to read.

Plus, it is one of the funnest parts of writing a novel. When an idea is fresh in your mind and keeps you up at night...that is the best feeling in the world. But maybe that is just me. But this is also where I get freaked out because I always seem to forget before I write exactly how much work this is.

Starting a project is hard, but once I get going it gets much easier.

So, do you do any pre writing before you start a new project? Or do you just dive in and go wherever the story takes you? I can see many reasons to do either, but I don't think I was born to be a panster. Some people don't need to plan at all and can make a story sing, but that's not me.

Is pre writing important? Do you do it because you love it or is it because you know its needed?

No comments: