Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Final Stretch

We have neared the end. Does anyone else feel that Nano went by way too fast? With Thanksgiving and everything else I fell beind, I'll admit it. When I realized that if I didn't kick my butt into gear I would lose I freaked out big time. And yes, I even thought of quitting. But I didn't. Instead I wrote more yesterday than I had all week. Over 4k words. I am pretty impressed with myself. Nano has taught me many things but the most important, I think at least, is that I can do this. I can write on a deadline. Some of what comes out may suck, but there have been some real gems as well.

This month has been a great and terrible journey and I am sad to see it so close to ending. Probably because I know what comes after this. After this my Inner Editor will break loose and tell me how stupid my novel is. After this I'll spend months fixing what I think is broken. Has anyone guessed that revision scares the crap out of me? It does. I have written a lot during my short time on this earth, but revision is not something I have ever tried with anything longer than a short story. What if I can't do it?

I have decided to just push ahead, enjoy these last few days of Nano and think about December when it gets here. I still have a whole lot of writing to do.

Which reminds me: anyone feel like their novel isn't anywhere near an ending? Are you worried about being able to contnue writing it in December? My problem was the exact opposite for a while. I wrote too tightly, my scenes were so fast paced that I was afraid I would run out of story. I am interested to hear what people plan to do with their Decembers. Me? I plan to flesh out my plot, my world, my everything quite a bit then go from there.

For those of you still in the game...keep writing! We are almost done!

2 comments:

Voidwalker said...

I'm not involved in the NaNo thing at the moment. I just came back to blogging recently and as I've built up my network of fellow bloggers, I recently found out what this NaNo thing is all about. I'm a little late. Oh well.

Good luck to you on finishing. YOU CAN DO IT!

Tori said...

Thank you very much. Yup, Nano is pretty insane and not for everyone. This was my first year participating and I actually made it to 50k. Such a big milestone for me. Hmmmm...well, you could always write this month instead and say its for Nano. A lot of people do that.