Sunday, June 27, 2010

10,000 Word Mark

It seems like has taken forever but I've finally reached that first mark in my WIP. I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere, like I'll finish this thing. Which is funny because in reality I have quite a ways to go. But I am happy anyway. Just wish progress was a little faster. But hey, I haven't really been known for my patience.

My biggest problem has been finding the time to write. When I actually sit down the words flow easily. They may not be good words, but at least they come. And its only going to get harder. When I go to school I'll have to somehow balance homework, my infant a job and writing. So I have made a list of when I can write and where I can start cutting at other things that aren't as important.

I found that the easiest times for me to get words on paper is in the early morning or when my son goes to bed at night. These actually work extremely well because its silent, so I don't have any interuptions. I'll admit it sucks dragging myself out of bed in the morning, but its worth it.

TV is another big one. The time I watch it could easily be used to write a scene. So I'll be doing that more often as well. This is usually when I am feeding my son, but I could easily write in a little notebook instead. This way I would always be able to write every day instead of a couple times a week.

I also bring my notebook with me everywhere when I leave the house because I never know when I could sit down and write. It has paid off quite a few times. And those minutes add up after a while.

I know there is probably other things I could do to make sure I have the time to write, but this is what I have found that works for me so far.

How do you find the time to write? Do you sacrifice anything? Have any advice to give? Let me know in the comments.

No comments: