Friday, June 25, 2010

The Hunger Games

Even though the need for sleep has made my brain more than a little foggy I couldn't help but write about something that has had me obsessed for about twenty four hours. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Anyone who hasn't read it should. I'm serious. That book changed my life. Okay, maybe there will be the few that hate it anyway...but this is easily on my top five favorite books of all time now.

I almost didn't get this book. The reason was stupid. There was a lot of hype about it so I thought it would be a letdown like Twilight. But a friend of mine practically begged me to read it, so I decided to give it a chance. But I didn't expect in a million years what I got.

From the moment I started the first page I was drawn in by Katniss Everdeen, a sixteen year old girl who was not your average girl at all.  I read about her world, the officals that kept people in line by making them send one boy and one girl from each district (which there are twelve) to participate in an annual event called The Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. I felt her fear when her sister is chosen and then she bravely goes in her place. I watch her fight to stay in the game, and, almost by accident, becomes someone the rest of the kids fear.

If that wasn't enough to keep me wanting more there is a love triangle as well. There is the boy at home, Gale, who she knows pretty much better than anyone, someone that in many ways is just like her. Then there is Peeta, who is the other one chosen from her district to participate in The Hunger Games with her who confuses her at every turn. I'm not sure who the author wants us to vote for, but I am instantly drawn to Peeta. He has saved and given Katniss kindness so many times there is no way I can't like him.

The story moves at a fast pace, and I even found myself crying in places. Especially when Katniss loses someone that she gets to know in the games. But instead of breaking her, this makes her stronger.

Katniss has to make some hard choices if she wants to survive. Choices that leaves your heart racing til the very end.

I am going to get the next book as soon as possible, I can promise you that. I am already counting down the days until the last book comes out!

Anyone else read any good books lately?

No comments: