Monday, July 5, 2010

Day Four: How It's Going


Sorry I haven't blogged for a few days, but some family stuff kept me away. But I have been writing. As you can see I wrote over 3,000 words! Closer to 4k actually, so I am well on my way to finishing this novel. That is, if I don't keep adding more scenes. As of now I have 13 or 14 scenes to write, but I already know I need to add a few extra, so I'm going to have to start writing two scenes a day instead of one. That will make it so I write more like ten pages a day instead of the usual five. This also means I'll finish before the month is out hopefully...so I can work on a new secret project! In fact, I've been testing out the plot of it already. I feel like I'm cheating. But boy is it fun! And, if things keep moving so well I'll start the editing in August just like I've been planning. It's nice to think that I could have a week or two to play with pre writing for another idea though.

Usually in every project there is a point where I hit the dreaded wall. The point where I quit because it just wasn't fun anymore. I don't know how normal this is, but it was almost always the way I worked. In fact, the first thing I've actually made it all the way through a first draft this year was a novella! And before that? A couple short stories. Whoop-Dee-Doo. Seriously, that is kind of depressing. I don't really know if this was because I was having actual writer's block, or if I just didn't like my story enough...or maybe just wasn't a very strong writer. The fact was I wasn't getting anything done. Period. Now I find myself writing a WIP and I am pretty confident this one is going to reach the end. Why is that?

For one, when I get stuck I take the time to figure out why that is. Usually I do a bit of timed writing and work my way out of the problem and am writing again. If that doesn't work I take a good look at my characters and ask them where they want to go. And if all of thee above doesn't work...I've got to take a serious look at changing a big chunk of what I have written. And as for getting bored with my story? Getting rid of a character seems to do the trick, whether its killing them in the book or just deleting them from all future scenes...it is very satisfying. And yes, sometimes I like it way more than I should.

Another big reason I think things are going so well is because now I plan a hell of a lot more than I used to. In the beginning I thought I was a panster. That was how I wrote things from the time I was little. But, when it was first brought to my attention that this could help me get to the end, I changed the way I did things. Now I am a heck of a lot closer because of that.

And you know what else? I really enjoy what I'm writing. It might not be something everyone will be interested in, but I like it.

Anyway, I haven't had much problems in terms of getting stuck in this project. But if I do I know I'll be looking at the stuff I mentioned above.

Do you have a system you go through when you get stuck on your writing? Or are you like the old me, writing when you feel inspired, not worrying so much about writer's block?

What I'd like to talk about tomorrow: Trends and do you pay attention to them- and should you.

1 comment:

Lynn Mitchell said...

I'm really organized and detailed when I start a new project, but honestly, when I'm in the trenches writing a first draft, I just go with the flow. Some days I can crank out a few thousand words. Then there are times when I'll go for a couple of weeks without working on my ms. at all. I tried working through writer's block but I've found I do better if I just ignore my manuscript completely and work on something else until the characters and story calls me back to it.