Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day One: 1283 words and counting...bring it on!


Compared to other writers this might not seem like very much, but for me every word I write is another goal I have passed. So I am extremely pleased with my first effort, even if its not as much as I had hoped to write. And the best thing? They weren't all crappy words. In fact, if I'm lucky, there might be some keepers in there!

If I can actually write everyday...it should be fairly simple to finish my WIP this month, even if I only write at this pace. That will be the biggest struggle for me. Writing every single day. Sometimes I just forget. And others I am too tired or upset. But I've got to get over that if I actually want to finish this thing. And of course I do! r

Does anyone else feel like they must have written thousands of words and realize the actual number is much smaller? That was the kind of day I had today. I just kept thinking I was kicking butt. Come to find out I didn't do as well as I thought. Oh well, I got some words and I like them.

And that brings me to a kind of random question: How do you go about writing first drafts? Do you throw out anything you can think of on the page and hope that something makes sense at the end? Do you revise while you edit? Do you use an outline? Do you write every scene not knowing anything but your characters?

First drafts are quite a fun discovery for me, the beginnings being the best. Although I use a outline I am more than willing to chase other ideas if they come to mind. I will add characters if they call to me enough. I think writing is one of the most spontaneous things I do. There are so many ways a novel can go during a first draft. I love finding out which way I should take.

No comments: